Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Shabby Pink Drapes


My dream drapes were the pink pure silk ones Rachel Ashwell used to sell in her former store, and they were something like $120 a panel, or yard – something like that.  
My current dream drapes are the ‘faux soie’ Simply Shabby Chic sets at Target.





But, it would cost over $200 for them even with splitting the long panel in half and re-stitching the cut edge (my usual trick for saving money), and I just don’t have that right now.


Window before.

I installed the salvaged wavy-glass19th century sashes myself, but I didn’t bother to build a proper casing for them (see the Tyvek sticking out?!), and to save money I didn’t buy salvaged decorative trim.



I went to Jo-Ann fabrics and spent $45 on a few yards pink polyester fabric left over from Halloween meant for little girls’ princess costumes, and some other fabric meant for lining clothing.



I don’t care for sewing. My mother-in-law gave me a sewing machine for a wedding present, and I have a love-hate relationship with it.   I won’t even show you the other valance because I haven’t forced myself to sew it yet!    And they’re actually just tacked up!


It does soften the room, muffling sound and adding grace the way only fabric can.

Until next time, stay shabby!