Saturday, December 22, 2012

My Jeanne d'Arc Living Story





My favorite layout.




Many more pages and other inspiring ideas in the print copy 






















My little Zuzu made it in!



The holly and the ivy
Now both are full well grown,
Of all the trees that are in the wood,
The holly bears the crown.
O the rising of the sun
And the running of the deer
The playing of the merry organ
Sweet singing of the choir 

Traditional/Cecil Sharp



I am embarrassed how late this thank-you is posted.  I got a 98 for the semester in graduate school, and part of that was achieved by ceasing “distractions” like Facebook and blogging.  It's like coming out from under a rock.  I found out Kathleen at Faded Charm anointed Timewashed with White Wednesday two months after the fact. 

My humble thanks to Lonnie and Vivian at Jeanne d’Arc Living for even opening the email I sent to consider my story.  My heart skips a beat as I recall the moment I received a reply from my very favorite magazine reciting they were interested.

The weekend I dug into my first copy of Jeanne d’Arc Living (December 2010) I remained gobsmacked.  I stared, and stared and stared, at every picture and read every word. 

It is very rare I am transfixed, but this self-published magazine did it.  Its core value: simplicity.  The fact it’s Scandinavian has much to do with its sweet minimalist elegance.  Their Christmas culture is beautiful and exotic, involving things I was vaguely aware of like cardamom, marzipan, and Advent.

Carina’s (Made In Persbo) story showed her pulling cardamom cake out of a wood fired Husqvarna stove.  Dorte Palsgaard’s marzipan candies were shaped with common kitchen utensils.  A suggestion of giving gifts of time instead of money.  The idea the holidays could be affordable yet beautiful sold me immediately.  The promise of rest over running around was a plus.

At that time my agent was peddling my book idea around New York, but I guiltily became more interested in doing a Jeanne d'Arc Living shoot.  Notes were scribbled, props were made, evergreens cut.  Between December 2010 to early April 2011 on every weekend with snow I shot.  A yummy blizzard blew in and I took a vacation day just to shoot.  I kept holiday music on my iPod hoping its spirit would infuse the April photos, exposed so the windows wouldn't show the lame patchy snow outside.  I took my camera with me on errands in case “serendipity” happened.  We are rewarded with the shot of the deer in the woods because I “expected the unexpected”.

That kind of unexpected is good.  I expected “good” when this story was printed.  I'd be reading it by the woodstove surrounded by my dogs and family.  That house burned down.  I haven’t had the money or time to visit family or dogs and I will celebrate the holidays after I get paid on the 31st.  Two years later most of my styling looks stuffy and overdone.  Ironic when I was going for simple.  That's life.  Gotta deal.

Sometimes, bad stuff happens and good comes of it.  In November I had an issue with my landlord and wanted out of the room I rented.  If it never happened, I wouldn’t have looked for the cottage I rent now.  I can see a sliver of the Long Island Sound from my bedroom window through the winter woods.  In it I will spend four blissful days with nothing to do but catch up with old friends, reading, sleeping, and blogs (yes yours old friend). 

BLISS!

Visit the sellers and/or creators of vintage & handmade props in this story:

Lavender glass bottles: Dreamy Whites
Napkins: Pom Pom Home
German glass glitter star: Rachel Ashwell Couture
70 grit German glass glitter: Etsy
Reproduction mercury glass candlesticks: The Sheep’s Nest



Until next time, stay shabby!



Sharing with:

Blissful Whites Wednesday at Timewashed  

Favorite Things Thursday at Katherine's Corner 

Feathered Nest Friday at The French Country Cottage  

Farmhouse Friday at LaurieAnna's Vintage Home 

Show & Tell Friday at My Romantic Home 




Pin It

27 comments:

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas! Always beautiful over here~Blessings Kim

Jade said...

Everything looks soooooooooo magical, my dear Sandy, CONGRATS to your wonderful Jeanne d´Arc Story!!! Wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS, my dear friend.........enjoy your wonderful new life!!!!

With love, Jade

kleine-creative-Welt said...

Dear Sandy,
I wish you a Merry Christmas - a wonderful time - I send you the best wishes for the new year - stay healty -

many thanks for your magical and beautiful blog - your inspiring pictures -

Ruth

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Thinking of you and wishing you a Merry Christmas..and that the coming year brings you happiness.

Linda said...

Happy Saturday, Sandy!
I hope you are sleeping in today. You deserve a good old rest after achieving that 98! My word, girl! Lol Congratulations!
And, congrats, too, on having your Jeanne d'Arc article published. Why would they not?! Just LOVE it! You are always such an inspiration, m'dear.
Wishing you and your loved ones all the joys of the Christmas season. Blessings of health, happiness, peace and prosperity in the New Year to you. Hugs.
Linda at Beautiful Ideas

Nantucket Mermaid said...

Wonderful news on your test scores, the Jeanne D'Arc shoot and cottage happiness!
Have a wonderful ,relaxing Holiday and a prosperous New Year!
xo

Merlin said...

You ARE the white "Phoenix" arising and your spirit shimmers! The very BEST to you in 2013, etc! franki

Anne said...

Congratulations on your feature in Jeanne d' Arc! It is one of my favorite magazines!I am enjoying the issue with your cottage! Beautiful photos! Wishing you much success in the new year too!
Merry Christmas!
xx
Anne

Debbie said...

How absolutely wonderful, Sandy!
The magazine article is perfection...of course.
Merry Christmas to you!
Debbie
xxoo

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady of the Woods said...

Hello Sandy, I've been following your blog for a while. Congratulations on your JDA story. Glad you are happy. I'm Going White too. I was white/silver on my self, clothes/jewelry, but never carried it out into my decor until now that I "settled" into the house I'm living in. My last posts are on this process. I have more of a Fairy Flair. I have 2 rooms left to Whiten then I'm back to making my clothes and gardening. I'm loving it very much. blessings, lady

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Absolute favorite of the whole magazine~ just beautiful!! Congratulations!!

Debra @ Common Ground said...

Just amazingly beautiful, Sandy. Your photos are magical! Have a blessed Christmas!

KateAdmirer said...

Love seeing you posting again. :) I've just ordered a copy of the magazine as I love following your journey with your studio. Congratulations on the cottage, I am on the south shore of Long Island but would love to live up on the north shore where it's wooded. Sounds beautiful.

KateAdmirer said...

Love seeing you posting again. :) I've just ordered a copy of the magazine as I love following your journey with your studio. Congratulations on the cottage, I am on the south shore of Long Island but would love to live up on the north shore where it's wooded. Sounds beautiful.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sandy,
Congrats to your recent graduation; we both connected already on LinkedIn. That was a very important milestone in your life. This publication is great too, for keeping the memories alive with spectacular photos. Look positive at your future; always! Merry Christmas to you and enjoy the bliss of catching up on things.
Hugs,
Mariette

Norma said...

Firstly congratulations on your A++ grade! Well done you!! I know that doesn't happen without long hours and sweat ... and FOCUS!

The mag spread is wonderful, it must look even more spectacular 'on the page' rather than the screen.

How wonderful to have a little cottage to call home, enjoy the peace of the next few days. We're really looking forward to heading off to our cottage in New Zealand on 31 December - spending 5 weeks there - bliss!! While there are lots of things I LOVE about living in Sydney I do miss the song on the NZ native birds that we hear in our cottage garden... and the buzz of the bees looking for pollen... and just the stillness of it all.

It's me said...

I really love to see you in the JDL darling !!!..always nice to see you in a magazine or book......and so nice that i know you....and that i fiound your beautiful blog !!...merry Xmas darling......love you...Ria...xxx..

shabbychictinyretreat.blogspot.com said...

Sandy,
What ever way you decorate or stage your cottage it always is beautiful. I am so happy that your child who dresses in fur made it into the magazine. I hope you enjoy your time off this week. Congrats on your test scores, your magazine spread and pushing forward through all of the unfortunate stuff you faced this year. Holiday Blessings from
the fairy dog mother and dog codependent in Seattle area.
T.

Rhonda said...

Congratulations on the Jeanne d'Arc Living publication! I saw it and was so happy for you. xo Rhonda

Lili said...

Congratulations on that beautiful JDL feature Sandy. I just love how you write and express yourself too. Thank you for sharing what was behind the scenes, so often we never know what someone is dealing with. Even during your triumphs you have dealt with the adverse with grace and beauty. Merry Christmas Sandy! xo

Katherines Corner said...

bliss in deed my darling friend. Congrats on the Jeanne d Arc in inclusion. truly deserved. Warm hugs and Christmas wishes xo

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

I am over joyed for you Sandy!!

ghulam abid said...

Every thing will be Free, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Re-Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Plus Followers, StumbleUpon Followers, Youtube Views, Youtube Likes, Youtube Subsribes, Pinterest Followers, Pinterest Likes, Pinterest PinIt, Free Website Visitors.
Just Join now and Free Increase your Social Media Networks.
GetLikeFast.com

Habeib Khan said...

Lols Gag is the the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Epic Videos, Prank Videos, Fail Videos and Much More Fun and Entertainment, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Lol Videos, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
lolsgag.com

hamad uzair said...

World Most popular Upcoming Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
WorldLatestVehicles.com

Brad maddox said...

Upcoming Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
WorldLatestVehicles.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails