Monday, March 8, 2010

My Paper Slipper a la Marie Antoinette



I bet I know what you’re thinking…"I’ll never come back to this blog for craft ideas again!"    I didn’t have any thing to reference when I sketched the sole.    Look at how ludicrous it came out!



But, I had a blast making it.   Three hours well spent.



It’s made with stuff I had already.   The crepe paper is a streamer from the dollar store, the German glass glitter is from DorisDotz  (1oz. for $4 plus $2 shipping) on Etsy, the print is No. 110 from Tattered Vintage ($3), and the curly feathers are from a $2 bird from Michael’s.



Before I began blogging, I saved pretty pictures from the web for my own personal enjoyment without thought or care of the provenance.    This is one of them, and again I must write “if anyone knows the artist please contact me so I can give proper credit”.



How did s/he get the flimsy crepe pleated paper rosette so neat and evenly folded?


I don’t have a selection of brooches like lucky Charlene over at My Heart’s Ease  has.   I would’ve used the fleur-de-lis.    I made a circle shape of rhinestones to resemble a brooch or button.    It’s overscale for the slipper, I think I’ll look for something more appropriate.



It reminds me of the slipper worn by this naughty young lady in Fragonard’s “Les Hasards Heureux de l'Escarpolette”, (The Happy Accidents of the Swing), known to Americans simply as ‘The Swing’.    Oh, the verve and frivolity of this sweet painting!    And to think I was taught to not take Rococo Art seriously in college! Serious is boring!


I am sharing this at Treasures & Trinkets Thursday over at My Cottage Charm.

Until next time, stay shabby!