Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Antique and Salvaged Architecture


In 2001 I achieved my dream of owning an old house.    In 2008 I sold it after seven years of renovation.    Some of the rooms had been ‘updated’ in the 1980s.    As I replaced carpet with wood floors, sheetrock with wainscoting, and trim where there was none, I learned with the proper ‘bones’ any house could look like an old house.

 Some women love to shop for shoes; I love to shop for salvage!


My Studio – Before

My Studio – After

When I found this streamside hunting cabin, I knew its steep gable and general proportions were that of an old house.



Windows are the soul of an old house, and I had two sashes left over from my first house, two given to me by a neighbor that I only had to replace some glass on, and the rest were $15 per sash ($30 for a double-hung 2-over-2) from the Historic Albany Foundation Architectural Parts Warehouse.


Some of them are even wavy glass.
None of my windows are in proper casings.   I just screwed them in with deck screws.



A porch, columns, and gingerbread are things a cute cottage can’t be without.
These columns were $60 apiece at New York Salvage in Oneonta.



I split one in half with a circular saw for pilasters.





The beadboard porch ceiling and tongue-and-groove fir floor is half from my old house, half from New York Salvage.   Altogether it was one of the largest expenses – something like $400 – but a good deal of the beadboard is inside.   The chippy paint and imperfection of damage and age is worth it.



My chippy dark green screen door is from Albany ($25), and I know I have to find a way to reproduce the missing spindles and repair the brass screen, but I love it to bits.



The gingerbread ‘wheels’ and hardware are from New York Salvage.   John has great stuff, including a letter from Rachel Ashwell tacked up on his office bulletin board because she’s a customer, too!



The little brackets on the window cornices are from another $25 New York Salvage door missing its screen and in very poor shape.


I bought it mainly for its door hardware that floored me with its simple beauty.





The plywood gingerbread I cut with a scroll saw is not as thick as it should be, but I’m not a real carpenter so I pretend I don’t notice.





Trim is very challenging to find at salvage because it’s easily damaged when pulled out during demolition, so I am lucky I found this at New York Salvage.   When the snow came off the roof it pulled this section off, so now you can see what a difference a little finishing trim makes.


I know the ends of the flat roof are clumsy.    I know 'what to do' with a hip porch roof, but they’re too complicated for me to build, so I made a flat roof.    Setting the rafters and columns were the only thing I asked for my husband's help on this house.



At least these little corbels ($5 each) from New York Salvage help make it nice.



I found them near this very pretty window frame.     Don’t worry, John at New York Salvage has most of his inventory indoors, and he did a massive clean-up in the fall!


I’d love to wrap the house in old shiplap siding but it would cost too much.    The rough-milled board-and-batten siding is cottagey and late Victorian anyway.

My floors creak and it occasionally smells like an old house, so I’m perfectly happy.    Especially when people say, “Wow, I didn’t know there was an old schoolhouse in this clove!”

Until next time, stay shabby!

I am sharing this with Faded*Charm for "White Wednesday" 7 April 2010,
 My Backyard Eden for "Make It Yours Wednesday",
The Shabby Chic Cottage for "Transformation Thursday" 8 April 2010,
and Cindy's My Romantic Home for "Show & Tell Friday" 9 April 2010!
Pin It

43 comments:

Norma said...

Wonderful photos Sandy, such fabulous detail. I am very impressed with what you've done all on your own. I wouldn't begin to even think about attempting such a project.

BTW I'm soaking up all this detail, the motivation is definately still there to mini your gorgeous little place!

Claudia said...

I love seeing the before and after of the studio. I think I will be heading to New York Salvage some day soon!

xo
Claudia

A Cottage Muse said...

I am so very happy that I follow your blog. I go back and look at your photos over and over again hoping some of your magical touch rubs off on me. So beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Sadie said...

you should be incredibly proud. It's gorgeous.

I'll stick to the shoes though, I know what I'm doing there! ;o)
xxx

Sandy said...

Norma - it would be A LOT EASIER to mini this, believe me! This is the last house I'll ever renovate, I'm getting too old for it.

Claudia - be sure to call John at NY Salvage first, sometimes he's away taking down buildings. Albany is MUCH cheaper, too, but John has more columns.

Everyone, thank you so much for your wonderful comments, it really validates what I do!

ann marie said...

What a wonderful studio. Don't you just love power tools and vision? It must be gorgeous in the spring, actually, I'm betting it's gorgeous year round.

lala said...

I just discovered your blog - and so glad I did!!! Your studio is so very charming, can't wait to see it in the springtime.

Treasia Stepp said...

Your studio is absolutely gorgeous. I love all the vintage touches you have given it. Someday I long to do our home this way. Our house has original dental molding which needs to be repaired and some replaced. I love the look of it.

Marilyn said...

I have shown this studio to my Hubby many times & said "See....I want it (or one like it)!!" I can't tell you how looking at this makes me feel!! I love, love, love it!! You are both so-o-o-o-o imaginative & talented!! Beautiful!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals said...

Sandy
You know how much I love your studio and this post is bookmarked so I can come and back and study it. LOVE it ALL.
Where is your studio in relation to your home? Is it on the same property?
Sylvia

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Hi Sandy! You have done an amazing job turning a hunting cabin into a fabulous little gingerbread cottage! I want to live in your little studio!!!
Michelle

Zuzu said...

Love it all, Sandy. When it comes time to dress up our tiny house, I'll be coming HERE for fabulous ideas!
Hugs,
Zuzu

Vintage Rose Collection said...

Sandy,
All your hard work really paid off, and you did it all yourself to boot. Love your spirit!
Your home is going to look gorgoues in my up coming magazine. Be sure and have your friends sign up for a copy when its ready..
Ps, I know John, he does my frames for my art work.. Hes wonderful!
Happy Easter,
Jo-Anne

Cozy Little House said...

I love your house! And I'm sooo impressed that you can do all the work you do on it. You're much more of a carpenter than I ever thought about being!
Brenda

Miss Gracie's House said...

You are a girl after my own heart! I love, love architecture...always have...we don't have salvage yards here so what's original is what there is! Yours is gorgeous!
Rene'

BellaRosa said...

Sandy amor, I know I have told you before...but your studio is soo beautiful...I can't imagine having such an amazing place to create! I live in a 1916 home and it is ice cold in the winter, cool in the summer, well not upstairs :) But I wouldn't trade it for anything...kreaky stairs and all :) Thank you for visiting my lil blog, I am so glad that you like its new look! It makes me smile everytime I see it :) Have a beautiful week! Besos, Rose

lynnie said...

i adore old windows and i love your little studio ..thank you for sharing all your photos and all the bits inbetween..hugs from across the pond..lynnie

Linda said...

Hi Sandy~ I love salvage, too- I just love how you have used it to make such a wonderful studio! You have given it so much personality!

Wesley said...

Sandy, all of your hard work, sense of shabby style and love is paying off, your studio is absolutley heavenly! Thank you for always inspiring me!
Wesley
www.theshabbygarden.blogspot.com

Twyla and Lindsey said...

You have such a fantastic blog! I'm so happy I've found you! Have a wonderful weekend! Twyla

anything shabby chic said...

Hi Sandy,

Absolutely beautiful!!! I wish I could live there!!! I love visiting your blog, thank you!
Rebecca

Prior said...

I may need a new keyboard from all the drooling. I so love it! and am so proud your tool skills! Lezlee

Alaina said...

Oh my, I absolutely love your cottage. Such beautiful archetecture. I am a new follower and I can't wait to see more.

Bella said...

Hi Sandi, Your before and after photos speak volumes... you have a great eye! Just Beautiful!
Bella

Allison Shops said...

How pretty! I'd rather buy vintage than shoes too.

Be sure to visit AtticMag this week to register for our giveaway.

Allison

Cindy Geilmann said...

Wow, I want to hang out with you. I am looking for an arcitectual place right now. That one has great prices. Can I shop there on line?

What a great old house and new cabin.

come see me
cindy@stitches

Rosewood Cottage said...

what a wonderful place to dream and create! I love your beautiful studio! thank you for sharing!

Kiki said...

Gorgeous whites!! Fabulous..very beautiful! Exciting work..you must be very happy!
Kiki~

Gretchen said...

Wow! What a cool studio you've created with bits and pieces from all over. Very impressive.
Gretchen

Debra@Common Ground said...

oh My Goodness, I'm just in love!

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

absolutely delightful! so charming and very well done! Hope to see you back at my place. I have become a follower and hope you'll do the same! until later...

clustres said...

It is absolutely wonderful! I had so much fun looking at this post! Thanks,
Pam

Amy said...

these are just wonderful images, I dream of having an old house one day but I don't have the mind set to work on something of this magnitude.
Amy

Vintage Amethyst said...

Oh my goodness, I absolutely love it all. It is all so sweet!
Hope you will pop along & visit my White Wednesday post.
love
Alison
x

One Cheap B*tch said...

Coming over from the Shabby Chic Cottage and so glad I did.

I love what you did here. It almost reminds me of the Oxbow house in Gilbertsville, NY. My hubby and I looked at it last year and fell in love but too much work for us with two little boys.

We have a hunting cabin 20 minutes from Oneonta and I'd love to re-do it into a little chateau.

Your work is so inspiring! And I love seeing a fellow New Yorker on here mentioning places I actually know! Happy new follower!

Jeanine

Malisa said...

I am blown away by the beauty and charm of your studio! What a labor of love with fantabulous results!

Malisa

Cindy said...

Your studio is soooo charming, I could move right in, I love it so much. Hugs, Cindy S

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

Oh My God!!! I am in love. I hope a cozy woodburning fireplace was included in the renovation:) I have to go to Cooperstown in July -is that anywhere near NY salvage???? Baseball gets old for me reaaallly quickly.

Traveling Thrifter said...

I'm totally amazed with this...it's breathtaking honestly...what is your "studio" for. I can see myself living in here I'm going to be dreaming of it tonight.
Check out my new blog http://travelingthrifter.blogspot.com/

Shaunna said...

Beautiful! I want to move in!! Absolutely stunning, I'm telling you. Stopped in from White Wednesday...so happy I did! Off to peruse the rest of your blog. -shaunna :)

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

How wonderful to see it all come together. You must love to spend time in your studio. What beautiful detail.

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day!

Robin said...

Gorgeous...sigh.
Robin
All Things Heart and Home

Marina at Shabby Whites said...

OMG jaw-dropping shabby chic goodness. Would love to do some salvage jaunts with ya. Too fun!
~Marina

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails