Friday, March 19, 2010

My Shabby White Loft


I dream my loft will look like Fifi O’Neill’s tented ceiling someday.


Photo and styling by Fifi O'Neill

A pretty oyster colored fabric, shirred and feminine.    Alas, I can’t afford it at the time.


Photo by Rachel Ashwell

Then, I saw this billowy white silk WWI parachute fabric Rachel Ashwell used in her new NYC store Shabby Chic Couture.   Lying on my loveseat one evening, I noticed the Tyvek I have holding the insulation in the loft looks a lot like it!


Unfortunately, up close it’s pretty ugly with all the staples and rippy edges.


So, I went ahead and used the only fabric I have to dress the ceiling, several yards of $2.00 per yard Walmart lace left over from the windows on my first house.   It’s attached with a few electric staples here and there.    As usual, I didn’t have a plan, and it shows, as usual.


I sort of got both looks, because I don’t have enough of the lace to finish the job at the time!


I’ve always wanted to use my wedding veil tulle for something special, like a mosquito net across the little bed I plan to put up here that will have storage underneath.    Until then, I think I’ll drape them around my windows.    I love white, and I hope to work with these fabrics until I get a ‘fantasy’ look, not a ‘safe’ look.    I’m quite tired of 'playing it safe' decor.


Before


After


Before


After

What a difference the fabric makes for softening and ‘cozying’ the bare walls of the studio.   I’ll never understand why one sees curtain-less windows in decorating books and magazines.   No matter how stunning the architectural bones, it doesn’t foster a sweet, homey environment.


I’d love a pretty pink rug, too.   Few things cozy up a room like a nice rug.



This is a pretty pale pink rug from Vintage Chic of Troy, NY I can’t have because of my doggies.   It’s a real shame because it’s very hard to find them so dainty and pale.


I ringed the brass canopy I found at Brimfield in September for $18 with paper roses from Delightful Designer on Etsy.

Fun in progress!


Until next time, stay shabby! Pin It

23 comments:

My Cottage Charm said...

I love how the lace and tulle softened the look of your window and wall. I would love to have a little studio like yours for my own. Don't get me wrong, I have a big ol house to decorate, but I long for a little piece of real estate just for me.....but what girl doesn't, right?! :) Love your chandelier...I'm trying to find one for my dining room right now, but don't want just ANY chandelier...so I continue to search......don't want to settle on just anything. Maybe I'll find one I like soon. :) I want to add lots of drippy prisms. Hope you have a blessed day and have fun with your all your projects! :)

A Cottage Muse said...

Heavenly!

Wesley said...

Sandy, it's absolutley BEAUTIFUL!!! It looks like a shabby chic dream come true. Oh, how I long to have a haven like yours someday. . .Thank you for inspiring me through your beauty! Have a cozy day!

Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals said...

Oh it does look like fun Sandy and so soothing and cozy. I'm so jealous.
Enjoy your space.
Sylvia

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Stunning spaces

Claudia said...

You are creating a magical place in your studio! I really love the tulle around the window. How wonderful it must be to spend time in your studio.

xo
Claudia

ozma of odds said...

...OH MY GOODNESS ~ it looks fabulous!!! maybe you should put a little daybed up there and then rent it out to ME!!!! it look so ethereal and how romantic! xo, Rosemary

Sadie said...

I love how it's shaping up. I think we really are very similar in our approach to things. Just go for it and see how it looks! :O) Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I think your fabric works well, I love how the light is diffused around the windows. Looks gorgeous :O)

Did you make any ruffles?! It's addictive! I made myself a little ruffly book bag this week too, and am plotting a little project over the weekend too, if I can find enough fabric for it!

Have a lovely weekend

sadie x

Sharon~heartsongs said...

That is just beautiful!! I want a place like that!

Bella said...

I think your studio is a perfect fantasy look, it is just like a sweet dream. Bella

Charlene said...

Sandy, it's beautiful! Amazing what a girl with a staple gun can do!!!! Have a beautiful weekend. Hugs! Charlene

Cozy Little House said...

You're so right about the rugs! I recently got an indoor/outdoor one from Ballards because of my dogs. Playing it safe is safe, but boring. Spread you wings and fly, girl! The sky is the limit!
Brenda

tina, theoldfrenchdoors... said...

Hi sandy, it looks so dreamy and beautiful, you have given me so many wonderful ideas for my to be built soon shabby studio. i adore the whole look you have with yours. Have a great weekend.

Gail at Victorian at Heart said...

You can't go wrong with tulle and lace. It looks cozy and romantic. Fun place to decorate. Great idea.

June said...

Perfection...pure perfection. It is just dreamy.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Delicious!

Hugs, Sherry

Paula said...

Sandy, it looks breathtaking, as usual! I always love to visit you and see the latest transformations you are making to this lovely space. I am always amazed at your creativity and your ingenuity, and I am always inspired. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. I am off to spend time in the sunshine and dirt. I love digging in the dirt in the spring. :-) Today, I am liberating the flower beds of the winter leftovers. Wish me luck!

Blessings, my friend,
Paula

Sue said...

I think it looks fabulous!! Fifi has also used plain cheesecloth on some of the windows in her guest house and it looks wonderful and is so cheap at Joann's. Just an idea. You're doing a great job on your little hideaway! ~Sue in FL~

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Bravo on your loft and window tulle re-do! I draped my wedding veil over a mirror for years and it is none the worse for wear!

Happy Pink Saturday!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Angela Harris said...

Gorgeous! Fabulous! and whatever other word that is comparable to those :)
You are the winner of my giveaway :) Hooray! and congratulations..Your journal and roses will be on their way shortly!
~Angela Harris

MARY PERNULA said...

Your little space is so precious..........it has inspired me to convert my small work shop into a doll house. Have a wonderful day, Mary

LISA LIBELLE said...

Good morning Sandy! Oh so nice and romantic your style and pics... so lovely! I like this so much...I'm a romantic Queen also :0) I hope you'll visit also my Blog, I'm an Italian girl living in Switzerland. My home was featured in the last LandIDEE "Wohnen & Deko" Magazine. I'm so happy about ;). In my Blog on the sidebar you will find your last Giveaway "Books & Ballet". Have a good Christmas time. Big hug, LISA LIBELLE

collectingyourself said...

Love this post! Dreams that get pieced together are often more valuable than the ones that come all at once. I enjoy seeing the progression.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails