Monday, April 26, 2010

My Shabby White Chandelier, Part 2


If only they sold brass wire already blackened with age! I haven’t discovered a product that will reliably tarnish new brass.


I painted the metal on these with Triangle Craft’s Sophisticated Finishes in Blackened Bronze from Michael’s, and it just sits on the surface and peels off easily.    It's very difficult and time-consuming.    I want something I can dunk them in.



After 4 months, the strand I purchased from Gallery 84 is finally starting to tarnish
after I soaked it in acetone, beads and all.



If only all the brass links on my chandelier looked like true old brass!



I have few pet peeves, but this is one of them.


This is what must be done when you find $15 yard sale chandeliers.   
Antique chandys are $1,500 and up.



This is the sole “English” prism I have, bought at Brimfield in September.    I don’t know if it really is an “English” style, or if these pendants are “French”, that’s what they’re called on Gallery 84’s site.
I haven’t looked it up in the library yet.





I have some prisms in the ‘chandelier hospital’, along with three arms that broke off.


I glue them back on with Crazy Glue.






Yummy original brass wire.


Sweet rosettes.    No place on my chandy for them so they’ll be in my art someday.


So, the top will look better when the 3 arms are fixed and hung.  
There’s just something about the sparkle of glass in a white environment!



I could just stare at chandeliers all day I love them so much!


‘Till next time, stay shabby! Pin It

25 comments:

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

This is such a wonderful Chandy!! Just gorgeous!
Debbie

Marilyn said...

Absolute eye-candy!! I too could just stare at mine all day!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Roseanna said...

Hi, If you want to blacken or age bright brass. spray it with old fashioned oven cleaner. Works perfectly. Spray outside or in a ventilated garage and let it sit overnight. Perfect old brass...this trick courtesy of a Lowes booklet I received in the mail a few years ago!
I used it on a brass canopy I was trying to darken to match my chandelier. Let me know if yo try it!

Anonymous said...

Sandy,

I did a quick search and found this product that might do the trick. Love your shabby studio!

http://www.micromark.com/BLACKEN-IT-4-FL-OZ,7267.html

Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals said...

How funny, I have Chandy Hospital too.
Thanks for sharing.

Debby said...

I love them too, so darned pretty.
debby

licha20 said...

Hello
I can't get enough of your blog-chandy's and your lovely studio!! i want one of these soo bad!but for now I'll just make-do with looking at yours everyday more than once a day :)

stefanie said...

I could stare at them all day too....gorgeous!

raggygirlvintage said...

It already looks beautiful, I'm jealous!! Top of my (rather extensive) wish list!!
Tracey

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

I'm pretty sure this is the dreamiest set of images I'll see all day long.

Swoon!

Anne

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Oooh, you are preaching to the choir here!! I am a chandy-holic, too!! Love your beautiful images!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Sandy said...

Roseanna & Anonymous -

REALLY!

I'm dying to try! THANKS!

Will post results.

xoxoxo

Sandy

frankie said...

I was watching martha stewart show the other day and a lady called in to ask about darkening new brass fixtures.. she recommended a product that you dunk in.. can't remember name.. maybe you could look up on her website.. good luck!

Faded Charm said...

Okay, now that I've stopped drooling I can say WOW!!!! I'm really enjoying your blog, such beautiful photos.

Take care,

Kathleen

Linda said...

Sandy, your chandeliers are just beautiful...I love them, too!

June said...

Sandy your pictures are always a treat. I love your gorgeous chandy.
I love it when I find one for a good price and always drag them home with me.
hugs

Passionate for White said...

How can it be that I just now came across your site. I am in HEAVEN!

huntedtreasures said...

Sandy,

My sister and I both love Chandeliers I think they are in style or something about them they attract the eye. I do the same as you do, I play with them and take them apart and refurbish old ones, and paint some of them and give them life, my sister does not have the same tools we have in the States so she has to buy them, you are a great inspiration to this hobby of ours. Your creations are wonderful.

Hugs,
Maria

Bella said...

Eye candy for sure... just lovely! I can't wait to hear about your testing, I have a new chandelier in my bedroom it's had shiny brass wire for years, now it's bugging me :-)
Bella

Les Cotrions said...

What a beauty! Your chandelier is stunning!!! Sorry but I don't know the name of my rose! It was already in my garden many years ago...my garden is an ancient one...I don't know who planted it!
Happy Wednesday!
Vale

Shabbyfufu said...

Hi Sandy....sorry about the camera, but it looks as though you are doing a fine job with the one that you have. OMG, your place is GORG!! Lovely, lovely, lovely! ~ hugs, Janet

Pearl Maple said...

Beautiful additon to your charming studio and I do like your attitude to just glueing them back on.

Simplified said...

Sandy : Just had to say that even though there are so many beautiful blog sites to choose from , yours is my favorite , hands down. It is a continuing inspiration . Long live and love us "chippy" gals.
Cerise at Whitewashed Cottage

Anonymous said...

i am professional designer, perhaps you'd like to publish some of my images? i think it would be nice for your blog :-)
absolutely enjoy your blog! send me a e-mail please in case you want to see my photos

Margery Viverette said...

It's so beautiful, Sandy. I wish I could turn my living room chandy into that!

@Roseanna. Thanks for that tip! I wonder if it will also work with iron chandeliers. Hmmm...

My hubby and I bought a hand forged one, and I want to add up some styles on it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails