Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Old Shabby White Country Kitchen


It’s strange.   As much as I loved the kitchen in my former 1890 farmhouse in a valley just south of the Catskills, I don’t have any good pictures of it.    Part of the reason is because I wanted to take pictures ‘when I finished it’, and I never did.    I decided to sell that house after 6 years, and I sanded the white paint off the wood floor and installed cabinets and granite countertops to make it more appealing to the average buyer.    I had an old stove and free-standing tables the way Edwardians would have.


And when I say, “I never finished,” or “I sanded”, I mean I – the only thing we had contractors do in the renovation was the roof, one part of the foundation excavation, two exterior walls, and then they quit.   And no one else was interested.    And that was before we ran out of money.

But here’s my ideal sink.    It’s from about 1930 and skirted with Martha Stewart Kmart curtains.   The hardware is a $15 reproduction from Ebay.    The real thing is hell to retrofit without paying a plumber a fortune.    This man my husband knew had the sink for sale for $200, and when I went to get it he led me to a spot in his overgrown, junk-strewn yard where it lay with a weed growing up through the drain hole.   I felt bad about haggling because he was an acquaintance of my love’s.    It cleaned up with a power tool and bleach.   It was very shallow and stained easily, making its main task difficult to do, but I didn’t care.

I’ll get an old sink again without hesitation for the kitchen addition I hope to do in my studio next year!

Photo by Mimi Duistenhof

The little chandelier was a rare steal - $50 on Ebay from some guy cleaning out his mother’s house.   It’s lead crystal.    I just spray painted it white with Rustoleum and added the ball finial.    I hated to leave it!



Until next time, stay shabby!

Pin It

11 comments:

Marilyn said...

Morning!!
When we bought our house I fell in love with my kitchen. Our house is circa 1865. I love the cabinets & everything!! My kitchen sink is identical to the one you have in your first picture....DH couldn't understand what there was about it I liked so much. All I could say was "I just do"!!
Love your pics!!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Love that kitchen! As much as I would probably have loved the white floors, too, I LOVE the contrast of the gorgeous dark floors anchoring the bright, lightness of the cabinetry. Relaxed elegance! :)

We have a very old house, too, and the kitchen is STILL on the waiting list after 9 years... starting to wonder if it will ever be "done". Painting the cabinets was like a mini-facelift, though! :)

Gorgeous pics! I love your blog!!

XOXO

Ruth

Dudu said...

Hello Sandy.
I follow you for some time.
I love the sink and chandelier.
It's a shame you have to sell the house, but .. I'm sure it will be for the better.
Kisses from Barcelona

anything shabby chic said...

Hi Sandy,

I'm so sorry you sold that house!!! I hope where you are at now makes you happy!!! Sandy you are so talented, everything you do is just so amazing!!!! Can i pay you to come out to me and help me decorate better??? I'm Serious!!!! I love what you did with your floors, I to did the dark flooring because i wanted the contrast with all the white. But my husband loves color so little by little I noticed my walls were getting color, now I want everything back to white seeing your home!!! Everything is just beautiful!!!!
Hugs,
Rebecca

ozma of odds said...

...oh Sandy! Adore the kitchen and the open feel!! ~ and the light coming through the windows is nothing short of the sun's kisses:)
In Ohio we had an old home built in the 1820 complete with a carraige house and a widow's peak and walking away from that was one of the hardest things I've ever done...
Thank you for your beauteous pictures and creative eye...
xo, Rosemary

A Cottage Muse said...

Simply elegant!

Linda said...

OH...I love that sink, worth all you elbow grease! The floor and chandelier are beautiful, too!

Cabin and Cottage said...

Leaving that chandy would break my heart! Great space! Jacqueline

Vintage Rose Collection said...

Hi Sandy,
I love the kitchen, just as it is.. Its fresh and the dark floors against all the white is striking!
You will have this again in your studio darling..and it will be magnificent!
Jo-Anne

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

I love that sink! We have one almost just like it. It was in our house when we bought it---along with the steel cabinets c. 1930! (We have a 1886 Queen Anne.)
I am definitely hoping that we can keep the sink when we renovate the kitchen because I think it's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Could be the Very best subject which I read all day?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails