Thursday, May 10, 2012

Second Acts: Karina Gentinetta Featured In "More" June 2012




Photo: A.J. McAlear


More magazine "celebrates women of style and substance with articles on style, health, work, spirituality, and relationships.  Let there be more women living in a state of constant possibility with youthful energy, intelligence, achievement, and sophistication."   




Get Karina's Look:









My next place will be under her spell.






Waiting for the winds of change
To sweep the clouds away
Waiting for the rainbow’s end
To cast its gold your way

You don’t get something for nothing
You can’t have freedom for free
You won’t get wise with the sleep still in your eyes
No matter what your dreams might be

from Something For Nothing - Neil Peart (Rush)





My dear friend Karina’s feature “Second Acts” in the June 2012 issue of More magazine is THRILLING.

And reprimanding.  I need to find my second act.

How bad is it?  I waver between getting a master’s degree (to support myself better) or breast implants (to get a rich man to do it). 

I am hardly the first person to be heartbroken and others have it much, much worse. 

I’ve picked up and started life over before.  I thought after I bought my studio for cash I’d just cruise.  What a fool I used to be.

Close friends urge me to go home to my studio and visit.  I haven’t held my Maltese dog Zuzu since February and won’t see her until Memorial Day weekend (days from June).  I live absolutely alone.  Home and/or nearest family is a 5 hour drive away.  With gas over $4 a gallon I must choose between feeding Zuzu and seeing her.  I’d rather pay the bills and keep my great credit than see Zuzu and dodge collection calls.

That’s messed up. 

My studio is on the cover of Romantic Homes.  I haven’t seen it yet, but surely it’s the old ‘fantasy come true’ angle.  What bitter irony!  In truth I’m a grieving old fat fart disinterested in everything that used to please me whose greatest hope at the moment is a higher paying night job in addition to my full-time job.

Then…
           
…along comes an email from a dear friend.  A woman that’s lived in heaven and hell.  Karina’s inspired me.  She’s so action-oriented.  I’m just merely stubborn.  So, instead of whining I'm thinking about my next project.  It will be much more rustic.  (I can get a tree stump side table from my woods. Free.)  It will be uncluttered yet cozy, cushy yet unsentimental.  All white, of course.

It better not take 13 years to get there this time.

Thank you all.  I really have the best 'gentle readers'.

P.S. – Special thanks to 'Romantic Homes' for the feature story on my studio.  My copy is at my old address and I won’t get to it until Memorial Day weekend.  I’ll post about it in June.  People say it’s nice, I’m very grateful and thankful.




Until next time, stay shabby!




Sharing with:

White Wednesday at Faded Charm 

What's It Wednesday at Ivy & Elephants 

Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style  

Favorite Things Thursday at Katherine's Corner 

Creative Things Thursday at The Vintage Farmhouse  

Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage 

Feathered Nest Friday at The French Country Cottage  

Farmhouse Friday at LaurieAnna's Vintage Home 

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground 

Show & Tell Friday at My Romantic Home  


Pin It

20 comments:

Candylei said...

You have accomplished so much already! You are beautiful.

auntie lulu said...

You are an inspiration to me and my thoughts are with you.

Debby said...

Keep the faith. I hope things turn around. I know you miss ZuZu. (((((HUGS)))))

NanaDiana said...

Hello Sweet Girl! Yep- It is a romanticized version of your life. I did a little blurb about it on my blog yesterday.

I hope and pray that your life is on the upswing now. You have come so far over a very rough road...but I know that you have a lot of miles left in you yet. You can do whatever your mind sets out to accomplish.

Hmmmm...school or boob job? Now THAT is a life altering decision! xo Diana

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Sandy,

Wow, the sad facts about Zuzu hit me real hard... Material things one can overcome but a loving, breathing animal that you loved so much, is hard for not having her around.
There are so many examples of strong women and you for sure are one too.
Never give up dreaming.
Love and strength to you,
Mariette

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Love the cover of Romantic Homes--haven't gotten to look inside yet. So sorry you are not with your baby:(! Thins will get better I'm sure. Sending well wishes your way.

Plant Lady said...

Your blog is just grand, and you must a inspiration to so many.
Sometimes, we don't know our own inner power.

Merlin said...

You CAN DO this, kiddo, it does take time though. Baby steps. frranki

ArtigianoJewelBox said...

You'll turn the corner, and it won't take either of the options you mention, I suspect. :) Time heals... & you will see the right opportunity when you are ready. Regrouping is messy stuff, but but the necessary work of moving forward.

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Hi Sandy, that has to be so difficult for you. You are so talented, surely there is something else out there for you. Congrats on the magazine cover, wow!! Who knows what opportunities it will open for you.

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Oh Sandy, I have totally regrouped TWICE and as you know - it ain't easy. The first time I didn't have a home or a job and the second time I didn't have a home. I'm 63 and am finally getting it sorted out. And working my ass off. I love the feature in Romantic Homes and I wrote to tell them so. And a beautiful spread inside too! So, I'm sending you strength and happy thoughts. Who is taking care of Zuzu? Love, Linda

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

this is bittersweet to read Sandy, so honest and unflinching....it reminds me of a hard time I had to persevere through, and did, but not that fun to recall...and I worry for you. The thing I can say is that you must create a story for yourself in your own mind that is what you believe will happen for yourself...imagine all that you want and when you lay down at night go to that place in your head and really luxuriate in it...feel it and explore how wonderful your life will be...then in the morning create a goal for the day. I like to create goals at the beginning of every year wether they are lofty or small. Its like making lists and checking things off, it gives me a sense of accomplishment. Maybe some of these techniques would work for you. Please don't feel badly that the world keeps peddling your romantic odyssey with the studio~thats how I found you too, in the New York Times, way before I knew you were a blogger...and I was just a newbie...My dad gave me that article to read saying it reminded him of me....your romantic studio will always inspire others, but you are ready for bigger things and they will come.

Fantasie di fata ♥ country e shabby chic ♥ said...

sei una continua fonte di ispirazione
grazie!!
un bacione e buon inizio settimana
Elly

Katherines Corner said...

If only I could look you straight in your beautiful face, hold your hand and say,"you are an amazing, talented and beautiful woman, your life is filled with accomplishments, you are a good person, filled with happy. Let that happy out my friend" I send you love and hugs and smiles along with congratulation to your friend and to you. Having your sweet cottage on the magazine is in deed great news. Joy, sweet Sandy feel the joy! xo

Giancarlo said...

Una felice serata...ciao

Susan said...

Your friend's article looks so inspiring, Sandy. I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling motivated nor uplifted lately. Life certainly can take its' twists and turns. I do hope you can find that spark again and chart a new course for yourself. The timing may be off, but just wait until you see that spread in Romantic Homes! I gushed when I received my copy, and it is by far my favorite article. It is quite a beautiful spread, paying tribute to all that hard work and love you put into the studio.
I look forward to seeing where the 'rustic' road leads you...thanks so much for inspiring us all.
- Susan

Curtains in My Tree said...

amazing how we can change our desires from one job to another after we figure it out anyway LOL

I have my 1st giveaway on my blog and wanted you to know since I always enter your giveaway
( however never won LOL)


Janice

summersoul said...

Sandy,
Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am going to pick up a copy of romantic homes today. I believe that there is plan for all of us. And most of the time the reasons for things are not apparent to us. Be good, as you are, and I know that things will look up for you.

MC

busanalayali said...

Great post,I really like your article..
toko busana muslim

Katherines Corner said...

Just checking in on you. Hugs and wishes for a beautiful week! xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails