Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dreamy Whites: Open At Last

Photo: Maria Carr


Photo: Maria Carr



Maria's house is filled with the secure beauty that comes from a real, lived-in home.  Filled like the tangy scent of lavender that wafted from the box before I even opened it, with the little lilac-tinted bottle I ordered from her new online store for $24.  Isn’t it bliss receiving packages from independent boutiques like Dreamy Whites?  If only I’d thought to take pictures of every one I’ve received.  Just marvel at her sympathetic use of color.  I’ll proudly use the velvet bow in my pooch Zuzu’s hair.











The first time I came across Maria Carr’s heavenly blog Dreamy Whites I marveled at her use of textured walls, wondered where she got her chandeliers (the Alameda Flea Market), and assumed her home was in Scandinavia.   I went through every page of her romantic blog and saved many of her pictures in my inspiration folder.

Imagine my surprise when I read she lived on a horse farm in California with five kids.

Another surprise came on a recent snow day where I got to watch The Nate Berkus Show, and there she was!   I’d noticed she went to Manhattan in my Blogger Dashboard, but it was during the holidays and I was way behind reading my favorite blogs (still am).   Maria demonstrated how to get stains out on a ‘How to do White Right’ segment.   They showed the picture of her bedroom with salvaged doors for a headboard, and Nate gushed over her ingenuity.

I’m so proud of Maria, for she’s a humble, gentle artist with a fear of public speaking yet she came off relaxed and confident on national television.   She attributes that to the support of her sister and daughters watching the taping in their green room at CBS.   I clearly remember the kind of nervousness one experiences before stepping onstage for The Nate Show--I tried to bring my dog Zuzu to help me get through!

So, what are you bloggers and future store owners out there waiting for?   Send your best pictures out to shows and print media.   I want to be pleasantly surprised again.

Hurry over to Maria’s shop.   French décor galore: lots of pitchers, grain sacks, lavender products, and spiritual transport to Provence.   C’est ravissant.


Until next time, stay shabby!




I’m sharing with White Wednesday at Faded Charm  – c’mon over for the pale party!