Friday, February 18, 2011

Maltese Dog Love: Easy Bows for The Pampered Pooch, Westminster or Petfinder

My furbaby Zuzu can jump up on my sofa from standing still. 
The pillows are turned over so her paw prints soil only one side.



Images: Kennel and Bench, Unknown, Denise Rodhe/Darlynns Maltese, Jackie/Jami Maltese,


Since it’s the season for the Westminster Dog Show here in America, I thought I’d do a post on my favorite breed, the Maltese.

The breed is thought to originate from the island nation of Malta in the Mediterranean at the time of the Romans.   From the start, the tiny dogs were spoiled by aristocrats delighted to hand feed them, carry them in their arms, and let them sleep in their beds.

One of the things they’re infamous for is a lot of grooming.

My Maltese Zuzu and Belle always have bows tied in their hair.




Belle, 11, is a gentle dowager and can keep a fancy $12 tiara in her hair for weeks.
For my visiting Maltese friends 'in dogs', Zuzu is from Heaven Sent Maltese in MA,
her sire's side has Marcris/RagTak/Pashes/Ta-Jon and can be traced back to
Joanne Chen's Mino Maya Dancer.  Belle is adopted from Jambet, her
grandson is Magic who was ranked #12 a few years ago. 



Zuzu, 6 on 10 February, is a little scalawag that follows our big dogs Ruffy and Mully
in the woods and fields.  Her bows last a few days.  I needed a solution for Zuzie.


 It’s very easy.
Gather some wired ribbon, a ruler, scissors, and clear 5/16” grooming bands.



Cut the ribbon into 2 lengths of 6” each.



Fold one side, then the other.



Cinch with a rubber grooming band.

Attach to your furbaby’s ponytail with another grooming band,
and enjoy how cute she looks!

They’re washable and last for months.

The wire ribbon is malleable, which is great because you don’t have to
coax them into place the way you must with regular starched show bows.


My friend Donna loves dogs and horses, for a special treat check her site out!

   
These French script rose petal bows were made from a petal on my Teacup Design 
silk roses I simply cut and stitched together and banded to Zuzu’s ponytails.

Do you pamper your pooch? 
Blogger Marie Arden sure does – I’m always checking in to see ‘Les Girls’ –
so if you need a Maltese fix check her out!  Her girls are from Linda at TaLin.

Interested in enriching your life with a Maltese?  Opt to adopt at Petfinder.

I’ve been a volunteer for Metropolitan Maltese Rescue since 2005. 
What a joy it is helping homeless dogs find loving homes in the NY metro area!


The American Maltese Association publishes a list of reputable Maltese breeders listed by state. 
If you’re in Texas, why not visit their National Specialty in April, a dog show with just Maltese?

Thanks for all your 'bon anniversaire' wishes to Zuzu -- I relayed them and she wagged.


Until next time, stay shabby!


I’ll be sharing this with:





Please visit these fine blogs and share the fun!

P.S. - Author Christina Strutt of Cabbages & Roses has three of her items in a DustyLu






Pin It

19 comments:

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Your dogs, Zuzu and Belle certainly are beautiful Sandy. I'm w/you in loving the Maltese breed, had the joy of loving one for 14 years. Have gone slightly larger in dog and hair here now though and would really love to have one of both, a Maltese & Great Pyr... think it would be lovely and of course, lots of white!

Thanks for the tutorial. Have a lovely, shabby weekend dear one.
xoxo

Yvonne said...

What a clever twist to use wired ribbon for furbaby furbows!
A question for you & many others..."Why WHITE?" I ask this as I do not understand my own obsession with BLACK,(my mother considers it a morbid "color"!)I LOVE the pristine white & so want the look but always end up swaying to the "dark~side", (LOL!). There certainly must be some explaination to what attracts one to a certain color, (I shudder to think what my mothers explaination would be, HeHe!).....hmmmm....

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Loved your post! I have 3 doggies, 2 golden retrievers and a German shepherd dog. The photo of your baby with the finished bows in her hair is my favorite! I started my new blog yesterday - whoosh! what an undertaking. Its called houseofbeautifuldogs and is on blogger, and is far from perfect at this point. Your blog is a big favorite with my sister and me. Hmmm wonder what my shepherd would look like with those bows . . . Love, Linda

Marie Arden said...

I am sure Miss Zuzu had a fun birthday! Sometimes our girls eat too many treats and their party hats fall in front -they look like drunken sailors.
Zuzu and Belle are so lovely and I like that Zuzu keeps up with the big dogs!!

Rhonda said...

Love, love, love your brook side retreat and your girly blog Sandy! I have 2 Malties - one who would leave your bows in for days and another who would eat them. Couldn't put wired ribbon on her cause we'd be paying the specialty vet to cut it out of her tiny intestines! Might be sure anyone considers the consequences of wire in ribbon. We couldn't wear that gorgeous tiara either - if the hand-carved fretting on my chippendale couch is any indication of her destructive prowess! But at least she is leaving a top knot in - finally : )

Isabelle said...

I loved you Maltese blog. I keep Sky in a puppy cut but never tired to see the lovely Zuzu and Belle as well as... les photos magnifiques de ton beau studio! J'aime tout! xo Isabelle

PRAIRIE GIRL FARM said...

I would love to have you lil furbabies for our farm! How sweet are they? VERY!!!

Madelief said...

What a sweet looking dogs you have!!! I don't have any dogs myself, but I enjoy my friends dogs very much.

Happy sunday!

Lieve groet, Madelief

Daria Pew said...

Sandy, Love your beautiful blog and in particular this wonderful and lovely post. I have some Maltese questions regarding bows and will e-mail you soon! xo, ddp

Sizzle and Zoom said...

I love your little dogs. A lovely
post of them.

bikim said...

so cute Sandy!!!!!
!
happy sunday!
Rosa

Sherry said...

Well I gotta say it... How dog gone cute!!!!!!!!

Those pink little bows.. adorable! Those are the bred of dog I would like to get after the one we have has lived out her life. Sad to think of that but she is alreayd deaf and stiffening up.. I have always loved your bred of dog. Your pictures of them are just adorable!!!!

Thanks for sharing them
Sherry
http://www.canadiancandy.blogspot.com/

Tania - Grange de Charme said...

Lovely dog !!!!so sweet ...
Have a great day Sandy !

THE VERANDA HOUSE said...

HI DARLING SANDY YOU VISIT TO MY BLOG WAS A PLEASURE THANK YOU...LOVE THE WAY YOU CREATE THE BOWS,THE WIRE RIBBON IS EXCELENT TO WORK WITH.ZUZU AND BELLE ARE SO BEAUTIFULL MARIE ANTONIETE FROM FRANCE HAVE ONE ALWAY'S.THANK YOU FOR SHARING ABOUT THE MALTESE DOGS I WAS GOING TO ASK YOU ABOUT YOUR OWN DOGS ,I DONT HAVE TO ANY MORE.I KNOW THEY ARE A MALTESE BREED..YOU ARE SO BLESS TO HAVE YOUR BABY'S...HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY. HUGS....SANDRA

Olivia said...

Your pooch is tres chic and the pictures are gorgeous! I make bows for my little girl...if I had a doggie she would be a Maltese with fluffy pink bows! Giggle!
Hugs,
Olivia

auntie-lovie said...

Your furbabys are gorgeous - I love how their different hairstyles express their own personalities! I live in Seattle, only a few blocks from the address of the vintage breeder's advert. It's always been a nice neighborhood. Shall I send you a photo of that address?

kristina said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet little girl!
I love Maltese they are adorable and i wanted one so badly until i saw my little Pom Pom and she melted my heart,she is a Bichon so still yummy and white...thank you for the tip on making bows i am going to give it a go,
Love and blessings to you,
Kristina xxx

Jack and Georgie said...

I have just finished ooohing and aaaahing over your poochies and the other Malteses. They are truly the best friends in the world. I would never, ever be without mine. Yours forever in Maltese puppy love, Jacqueline xx

Nicole, maltese owner said...

I love the ribbon making part. It’s very useful especially with planning on what your dog will wear for the day. Thank you! I wonder if there is marriage for dog couples in the world.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails