Sunday, October 31, 2010

Yard Sale Recap 2010: R.S. Prussia, O.P. Co., Homer Laughlin, K.T. & K., and Syroco Stuff!



I scored some nice stuff at yard sales this season here in the Catskills.
Total cost for new pretties: $20.60.
Most pieces are American manufacturers going for a French look.  The delicacy of real 19th century Theodore Limoges porcelain and Rococo mirrors isn’t quite there, but they’re nice enough and the prices were right.

The first, my favorite, is a lidless c. 1900 R. S. Prussia sugar bowl, $10.   It’s not the usual ‘over-the-top Victoriana’ one thinks of when R.S. Prussia is mentioned, and sure enough a few minutes at an R.S. Prussia  information site exposed mine as a fake!   The period isn't after 'Prussia' and the R & S are crooked.



Oh, well.  I love it anyway, and it’ll always be a great conversation piece!



An Onondaga Pottery Company (backstamp: O.P. Co. Syracuse China) c. 1897 luncheon plate with a Limoges look, 50 cents.  O.P. Co. china was mass produced here in New York and the first in America to produce semi-vitreous (translucent or glasslike) china in 1895.




A c. 1900 Angelus sauce boat by Homer Laughlin, $1.50.  ‘Antique dinnerware is identified by the name of the manufacturer, plus a name given to the particular form of all of the pieces making up a set (called the shape name), plus a name given to the colored decoration (called the pattern name).  The Angelus shape was a favorite with both the Sears and Montgomery Ward catalogs 1900 - 1910, the pattern is a band of leaves. Patterns were usually applied after the initial firing, and (oddly) makers rarely named them.’ --From Turn of the Century American Dinnerware 1880s – 1920s by Joanne Jasper.


Catalog picture of the Homer Laughlin Angelus shape c. 1900
from "Turn of the Century American Dinnerware 1880s – 1920s" by Joanne Jasper.







Tiny butter pats from Knowles, Taylor, Knowles (backstamp: Semi-Vitreous Porcelain K.T. & K. Co.) of East Liverpool, Ohio, $4.  They may be the c. 1904 St. Louis shape.  Love the pink and blue sprays reminiscent of Theodore Limoges.


Catalog picture of the Knowles, Taylor, Knowles St. Louis shape, c. 1905
from "Turn of the Century American Dinnerware 1880s – 1920s" by Joanne Jasper.


What touches me the most about antique dinnerware is I’m merely the next person in the legacy of the piece, first owned, perhaps, by a young bride.  I can see her, wearing a high-necked lace blouse and her hair in a Gibson Girl pompadour, reaching into her inherited cabinet, then tenderly lifting the brand new oyster nappy from her collection to admire it.  (A nappy is a small uncovered serving bowl.  I’m most attracted to pieces the average 21st century person won’t recognize, like bone dishes.)



How thrilling it would be to receive this calling card rather than a Tweet…



…on the other hand, the Industrial Age owners of this factory were proud of it right down to the unabashed depiction of filthy smoke on their advertising.



A tiny shot glass for 10 cents.   Beautiful, useless things.   Love them.





A corroding salt and pepper set from Hong Kong that made me smile for some reason, $3.



And last, a small Syroco mirror, $1.50.   It still hasn’t spoken to me on how it’s getting refinished and where it’s going.

When you come upon treasures like this it’s worth the slog through fruitless Saturday mornings offering only baby clothes and VHS movies!

Things are winding down at work and I don't have any shoots scheduled, so I've actually been able to spend significant time catching up with my favorite blogs.   I'm ever so grateful for your comments, and I hope I'll be able to linger on your pretty pages and let you know -- for real -- how I love you all!

Until next time, stay shabby!


I'll be sharing this with:


Pin It

40 comments:

Pretty Pink Cherub said...

What a wonderful score!!!! Beautiful pieces!!! TYFS!

Bella said...

Hi Sandy,
I am so glad to see you post, I have missed getting lost in your pretty world! I hope you are enjoying your bit of quite time ( I'll bet it is short lived:-))
What a great collection of summer finds!! The view in the mirror, beautiful!!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Bella

elinAnita (eddaskreativiteter ) said...

Beautifuel things...I love old glasses and porcelain and I use my stuff everyday:)Live beautifuel every day...it makes a diffrent I think....
have a wonderfuel day..
eddaHugs from Norway..Oslo....

Jack and Georgie said...

So beautiful. You have such a good eye for all things pretty and delicate. Thank you for your post...cheered up my Sunday afternoon of work!
Jack and Georgie (from Australia)
xx

Marina Mott said...

Wonderful pieces!! I loved them all!xx

Claudia said...

I like finding old pieces and researching their history.I've learned a great deal that way. Love your finds.

xo
Claudia

NanaDiana said...

Sandy-What wonderful treasures you found! I love them all...and sometimes the fake is as beautiful as the orginal. I think you are probably like I am..collect something for the love of the way it looks rather than how much it is worth. I grew up in PA, close to the NY state border, so we had lots of Syarcuse china around there...and I had an older cousin that worked in the offices of the place that produced Syracuse china...although I don't think the plant main company was called Syracuse China (could be wrong). Anyway...had I known then what I know now I would have been living on his doorstep and begging..lol I think he lived in a "company house" in Lyncourt, NY and was always a bit of a mystery (I don't know why) to our family. However...
There is a set of white with blue ships around the edge that I would love to have (even though I am not typically a blue person)...it would suit my living on the waterfront. Well, sorry to have rambled on so long...that's about all I know about Syracuse china...except that they closed a couple of years ago..which I find sad. Diana

High Street Cottage said...

Sandy, you found beautiful items, and I can't wait untill you share your "after" mirror with us. It's nice that you found some "me" time after all the shoots and interviews. I too collect china, and appreciate the research and info you put into your post. The little shot glass is just the most adorable thing ever, and I know what you mean about baby clothes and vhs. Have a very Special Sunday, tami from the high street cottage

LizlovesVintage said...

Love your finds! I have the same S&P shakers. Cute right? This post makes my heart beat fast. Hugs, Liz

Ozma of Odds said...

...b-e-a-u-t-i-o-u-s!!!
Love how your pics look dreamy...
xo, Rosemary

Madame de Thil said...

Vraiment magnifiques!

My Blessed Serendipity Life said...

What pretty things you found! It's treasures that make your heart skip a beat that keeps you coming back again and again. No matter how many bad sales you encounter, there will always be a good one around the corner.

-Danielle

Mary Nell said...

Sandy,
I found your blog thru Chez Fifi's site. You are such a lady and full of grace. I cannot get enough of your blog and photos. My home is like your studio, white and somewhat shabby french chic. I opt for mostly white with dots of color. You are an inspiration.

Paula said...

here is so many inspirations!

have a nice time,
Paula

PIONPIA said...

It`s so beautiful!!
ALL of it!!!
Love your pictures!
Hugs from Norway;-)

A Cottage Muse said...

These lovely little treasures you found are lucky to be in your beautiful studio!

Have a great week!

elinAnita (eddaskreativiteter ) said...

Hello:)
Thank yoy so much Sandy for your LOVELY comment...you are just beautifuel....
This weekend and today I found so many lovely old things...
I will show you something tomorrow.....and days after...I just hope the sun will shine....so I can have enough light to my pictures:)
have a lovely night..the clock is about 23 in the evning??is it?
eddaHugs to you...

Jeanine Burkhardt said...

Love that "Shabby/Corroded" priceless little silver dish from Hong Kong!*!*! It's the small things that count!!!
Jeanine, ChiPPy!-SHaBBy!

Candylei said...

You've found some wonderfully delicate and sweet pieces. I would have bought everyone of them, too! (Had I been with you.) I had to laugh when you said "sweet useless thing"...sometimes those are the cutest of the lot.
Keep posting for our pleasure. Thank you.
Candylei

Mariette said...

Dearest Sandy,

What a lovely and informative blog again! You are special for un-earthing those treasures of bone china, as opposed to the average 21st century person! Love that in you...
Do you know that the so-called butter pats are in the Old World called 'Petit-four' plates? Of course this is French and even my wedding china from Germany did come with those petit four plates.
For serving e.g. a pretty bon-bon (chocolate) with coffee after dinner, instead of a heavy dessert or for one more course of delicious food...

Enjoy your treasures and find some more! You live in a great area for that.

Sunny greetings from Georgia,

MariettesBacktoBasics

Chateau Chic Boutique said...

Hi Sandy! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your finds! I love great deals too. They do make it worth the wasted gas driving around to see nothing but baby clothes. I was totally laughing when I read that part!
I saw you on Nate's show, you're so cute and sweet. When I first started following you I had no idea I'd be seeing you on TV and in so many photo shoots, that is so awesome.

Have a super blessed week!
Missy

* French Farmhouse 425 * said...

~ Beautiful finds Sandy!!! Hugs,Rachel~

Curtains In My Tree said...

I am so glad people who have yard and garage sales share their lost treasures with us . great finds. I guess I am going to start looking for more dishes with delicate roses on them.

Janice

It's me said...

Hi Sandy...thanks for your comment on my give away......nice !! i follow you a long time now.......so nice your blog.......ans that little house in the wood.......can you help me...i don't see you on my followers list ??? ...do you follow private or something??? please tell me how it is??? have a nice day darling.......love Ria....

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

Wow! You really scored some nice finds...and SO CHEAP! Love that! Stop by my blog for a great giveaway of Carolyn Westbrook's new book, "The French Inspired Home".

Smiles,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Your little cottage is a dream come true or even a little cozy cabin would be right, but yours is gorgeous. It is a grown ups playhouse LOL !

I grew up in another country and we had tea time at 5 pm and one of the things I remember most was having those little meringue kisses as we call them , for teatime, ours were glued in the middle by dulce de leche which you can find in a jar at a whole foods store...They were delich !!! underthelighthousesinging@gmail.com

Roberta said...

Hi Sandy, Funny how these small pretties for so little bring such joy! My chippy rose pieces are some of my favorites.
xoRoberta

Olivia said...

Sandy,
I love your gorgeous dishes especially sooooo very cheap! I am super impressed with your studio.
Hugs,
Olivia

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Sandy, everything looks so beautiful!! It's always such a pleasure to come visit your blog and see all of your lovely things and wonderful creativity!! :))
Thanks so much for joining my giveaway and posting about it on your sidebar...I feel so honored and appreciate it sooo much!!
Have a wonderful week!!
xoxo,
Jo :)

WhiteWhispers2u said...

Awesome Score! I think your Cottage in the Hills is Simply Amazing! Thanks for sharring.~Cheers Kim

House Revivals said...

Beautiful pieces! I love useless pretty things, too. This is my first time visiting your blog, and I was surprised to see your little studio -- I ripped out that article and put it in my inspiration file!

gail said...

love all your finds! I don't even know which is my favorite. Always enjoy visiting your blog.
gail
adventuresininnkeeping.blogspot.com

Brenda said...

Love the pretty little useless shot glass. Love it! Wonderful pieces.

jade said...

Dear Sandy,
i loooooove your treasures - such a gerat post!!!!! And thank you so much, for your sweet comment!!!! Have a wonderful weekend,

Hugs Jade

Lounging with a Latte said...

You've had some great finds there. That mirror is crying out for something, I'm sure you'll bring it to life!

chateaudelille said...

That mirror is amazing.Cant wait to see what you do with it.Fiona

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

Beautiful!
That tiny salt and pepper shaker set is just divine.

Have a wonderful Sunday!
Hugs,
Anne

Debra@Common Ground said...

Sandy, I'm thrilled you're here for the party this week, I so love your blog, so I feel very honored! You found some wonderful pieces and it's great hearing their history. I have many bits and pieces of china, some good and some not so valuable, but I love them all the same. Thanks so much for joining in for VIF! Glad you're having time to relax a little.
xo,
Debra

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to tell us that you are a right-wing extremist?
No matter how you slice it, life is full of random shit like this. Better get used to it.
I write like mad, every day, and no one visits my blog, that looks similar to yours. What could I be doing wrong?
When I see my comments being removed I get upset. I'm not the one who should get upset.

If your parents didn't have children, you probably won't either.

Becky's Rose Cottage said...

I am so looking forward to the possibility of winning such beautiful items..as white is my favorite color..there are so many gorgeous shades that all come together for warmth and beauty! Sincerely, Becky

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails