Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Jazz Up A White Flower Windowbox



Palest lilac verbena and white violas in a cloud 
of euphorbia graminea “White Frost”



I am always drawn to the daintiest flowers, even though they peter out in August from the heat. Cutting back and extra water will reward you with lovely fall blooms, or a few 6” pots of white mums can take their place.






This year I thought I’d add textural interest to my white flowered windowbox with foliage plants.   Purple and silver are so nice with white.   I used purple ‘color echoes’ for interest.   The purple ipomea batatas ‘Blackie’ (Sweet Potato Vine) is so dark it appears black, and the contrast with white is heaven.






Sedum (sedum cauticola lidakense), with its lovely blue leaves, can go in the ground in the fall and resurrect itself next year.  Its flowers unfortunately are red: pinch off when in bud so only the foliage continues to grace your windowbox.  The oxalis (the white flowering four leaved clover “Shamrock” plants in the markets before St. Patrick’s Day) leaf has a lovely burgundy reverse, a subtle purple color echo.





Violas are my favorite windowbox flower; this year these cuties are also a purple color echo. 
Silver helichrysum petiolare (Silver or White Licorice Plant) softens the edges.







Few flowers are charming as alyssum in a windowbox.  It does what a bit of old lace does for a surface in the home.





I’m thrilled to share this sweet little watercolor of my studio (including my windowbox) painted by Jeanne Long.   She wrote:

“I'm sending it to you so you know how much your work has brought yet another person enjoyment.”

Jeanne belongs to the Minnesota Artists group, and her blog In A Fresh Foursquare depicts her charmed life in a sweet early 20th century home and its environs.   Her ability to capture it all in watercolor sets it apart.

Thank you, Jeanne, for the gift of art.



Until next time, stay shabby!


Sharing with:



White Wednesday at Faded Charm

Cottage Flora Thursdays at Fishtail Cottage









Pin It

26 comments:

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

Oh that painting is lovely! so are your flowers. My sweet peas have yet to flower...do they bloom later in the summer?

Jeanine Burkhardt said...

LoVe the watercolor of your Sweet Shabby Studio!*!*! She REALLY captured it's charm...
Jeanine, ChiPPy!-SHaBBy!

Jen of Country Weekend said...

Your flowers are so sweet, and the watercolor is charming.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love the shabby beauty of your window box itself. Your choice of foliage is perfect for it, and that watercolor is adorable.

Cindy said...

The window box is heavely... thanks for the tips on the dark plants to accent the white... it is a perfect grouping... and what a precious little watercolor of your house, i know you'll treasure it.

Cindy

Callie Magee Antiques said...

Your window box is wonderful.
All my flowers here have died or are in stages of dying even with daily watering. Our drought has made it impossible for us to have pretty window boxes at this time but I certainly enjoyed seeing yours.
Lois

Iben said...

So sweet. love it-

Iben

stefanie said...

oh, sooo pretty!

à la parisienne said...

Windowboxes offer such a welcoming charm to any structure, and they always remind me of charming villages in Europe.
Hopefully by next spring I may have a few windowboxes in my garden where I can plant lettuces, herbs, and dainty flowers.

Your windowboxes are perfectly sweet as well as Jeanne's watercolor painting of your studio.

I hope your week has been great thus far!

Mandy

Sizzle and Zoom said...

What a charming watercolor of your studio. You should have little cards made from it.

Amber said...

Super sweet... your dainty flowers in your adorable window box and even sweeter that someone gifts you a beautiful painting with a tremendous reason behind it. :)
xo, Amber

Merlin said...

It just "does a heart good" enjoying your window box. franki

Curtains In My Tree said...

Love the window box but that water color of your little cottage in the woods is so RAD

I know ya love it to

Janice

jade said...

Oh Sandy, that looks soooooo lovely and very romantic - what a good idea!!!!! Have a wonderful weekend,

Hugs Jade

Linda Carole Bloom said...

I have the dark potato vines also, I have had to cut them back three times! And I love the water color! P.S. I really liked the church candlestick post. Gotta try that! Love, Linda

Cassy said...

The flowers are all pretty as well as the watercolor.

Cassy from Acoustic Guitar Lessons

A Cottage Muse said...

*Love* the watercolor of your studio Sandy!

Those flowers are so sweet and dainty...perfect for your heavenly space!

Debra @ Common Ground said...

Hi Sandy, your window box is so lovely with all the sweet white flowers, I love shamrocks and keep them going all year long. the watercolor is so precious, what a wonderful surprise gift. xoxo Debra

SvenskaBlomsterbloggar said...

So sweet flower boxes and what a lovely gift! I guess it will be a treasured memory.

//Emelie

deborah said...

I love the watercolor! What a kind gift! It's always so nice to stop by your blog! Have a wonderful week!
Xo deborah

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Gorgeous flowers! Lovely shots. Great shabby beauty of your window box. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you on my blog:)

Katherines Corner said...

I always enjoy my visits to your blog. The flowers are lovely, so delicate. The heat can take it's toll though. I love the watercolor. What a beautiful gift sent from one heart to another. Hugs
Katherine

Carole said...

We have the same taste in flowers. I like the dainty ones too. That oxalis is one of my favorites but never seems to sell like I would like. It's ok I like it.

xx
Carole

Jann Olson said...

Love the watercolor! Sometimes it's so sweet to have a window box in just one color. I forget to give it a try though. I love Diamond Frost. Have planted it for a couple of years now. I love white in the garden. Following you on FB.

Carrie said...

gorgeous!!! So so beautiful!

Katherines Corner said...

Me again, I'll be featuring this post at Katherines Corner on Tuesday. Hugs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails