Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fall Flight








Suet birdseed cake and coated apples styled by Todd Foster





Jeanne d'Arc Living Autumn 2010





You move me
You move me
With your buildings and your eyes
Autumn woods and winter skies

Neil Peart (Rush), from The Analog Kid





Late fall is the best stage, when no green remains.  From bare branches vibrant leaves fall up, down, sideways, tinkling, snowing, flying in glittering droves, like birds. 

How I love wild birdies, especially chickadees.  Fall is the time to welcome your winter birds back, and why not pamper them in clever style?

This feature in Jeanne d’Arc Living’s 2010 Autumn issue (I bought on Etsy in May) by Dorte Palsgaard and Anette Christensen with photos by Lonnie Wurtz Jensen moved me so much I couldn’t wait until next fall to try their ideas.

A bar of lard cost about $2.00 and a 40 lb. bag of birdseed is $20 on sale, so a handful of seed is pennies. You melt the lard in a pan on low heat, pour and sprinkle seeds alternately, put it in the fridge overnight and it's done.   It made not only this lovely ‘suet cake’ but a pair of brioche tin shapes, too.  The seeded apples hung on hemp rope work better if you tie them against a branch to allow the birdies good footing.  Domestic birds aren’t exempt from this treat: hens eat wild apples if they’re cut up, and birdseed makes them bonkers.

Standing in my orchard with a warm sweater on, smelling the perfume of grounded leaves and woodsmoke, listening to the chatter of chickadees is one of the best things in life.  





Until next time, stay shabby!


For everyone wishing sympathy for the loss of my Belle, 
and congratulations on meeting Rachel,
I humbly thank you!



Pin It

24 comments:

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hi Sandy!

How are you? Enjoying the fall images and lovely words in this post! I hope you are well. Enjoy the season and all that it has to offer during this time of year!


Hugs from here,
Jessie

stefanie said...

so beautiful!!! I have always wanted to go back east to see all the fall colors!

Nicolina said...

Hello Sandy
Your pics are very nice! The set Table for the birds is terrific. ♥

Best regards
Nicole

Hope Filled Living said...

Thanks so much for the suet recipe! I will certainly try it for my birdies. It's getting really cold in Michigan...
Your pictures are very pretty.
Hugs,
Mary

It's me said...

People who are good for our birds....are good for everyone !!....seize the day darling.................♥.. ♥... ♥....

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Oh... I had to go back and read the post on the loss of Belle. I somehow missed it... I am so sorry.... Wasn't she just the sweetest little gal.....

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Sandy I just love the idea of making those for the sweet little birds! Oh my goodness
chickadees are one of my favorite little birds too ~ they are so tiny and precious!

Mariette's Back to Basics said...

Dearest Sandy,

Know what you mean by watching those colorful fluffy friends that are happily being fed by you! We did receive in 2007 our Backyard Wildlife Habitat Certificate for providing food and shelter to wild life. It is so rewarding! Thanks for sharing your well phrased post.

Love to you and stay warm!

Mariette

Jen said...

Wonderful picture and ideas. When I was a child we used to roll pinecones in peanut butter and then birdseed. I was thinking about doing that in the Catskills, but it would attract the bears (or are they hibernating?)

Katherines Corner said...

Beautiful my sweet bloggy friend! I plan to add seed balls to our bird garden:-) Biggest hugs and wishes for a day filled with smiles

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

Great idea to make your own fun and fancy suet cakes! We love watching the birds at our house...especially our cats. What lovely fall images!

Debby said...

I love those coated aples.
I didn't know about your Belle......so sorry.

Alabaster Rose Designs said...

Hi Sandy,
Such beautiful Fall images, so soft and lovely!!
I always love stopping by your beautiful blog!
Have a wonderful day.
Sincerely,
Melinda

La casa con encanto said...

LOVELY BLOG! I discover today!

Kisses,

Cristina

Rhonda said...

Sandy, I love that you share your wonderful world of nature with us. I have always fed birds year round so I may hear their sweet song.
I'd give anything to smell the fall leaves and orchard air!
Hugs from Arizona, Rhonda

Lili said...

There's just something so very sweet about that beautiful feast prepared for the birdies. Is that your husband that did the styling? Wonderful!! Love Jeanne d'arc Living too, but only discovered it this past summer. With your words alone I could envision the wonderful scent of late Fall (plus it smells that way here too!) Such a great shot of that little chickadee. xo ~Lili

Made in Persbo...Carina said...

Hi Sandy!

What beautiful delights for the birds! :)
I saw your cosy cottage in a swedish magazine! So sweet :)

Lots of love!
Carina

kerrie of sea cottage said...

So beautiful. The Autumn 2010 issue of JDA Living is my favorite ever! I didn't even buy the 2011 because I am still in awe of my 2010 issue. I can only imagine the deep serenity of hearing the chickadees and smelling the mountain air where you are. Heaven. ox

ann said...

I am going to make your suet cake. I have always made one out of peanut butter and lard, but peanut butter is very expensive. I know that the birds will love it.

A Cottage Muse said...

So beautiful...the birds will be singing your praises for the lovely spread you put out for them!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Many Blessings to you and your love ones this Thanksgiving..Hugs and smiles Gloria

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

So thrilled to find your inspiring and most lovely blog this afternoon! I am amazed by you and this little sweet dollhouse tucked in the woods.
A fairy tale dream spot come true.
Love every tiny detail and look forward to following you.
Happy Thanksgiving to you, Sandy!
Your newest follower,
Alison

tub reglazing said...

I too don't have a computer at home as i am always busy in my classes and job.I sometimes think of buying a laptop so that i can play games while going to job.

Sandy Morales-Figueroa said...

Hi Sandy! When I found your site, I found myself, and everything I have ever loved. From the all white ( my fave color) to the lace, to Jane Austen...etc. I just have never seen a home decorated this way. WOW!!!
God bless you
I live in NYC...is that possible here? ;)

Blessings
Sandy M

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails