Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Magical Dollhouse of My Shabby Streamside Studio by Cinderella Moments



About once a year or so, I see art or decor in print or on the web that 
completely galvanizes me with its beauty.    I’m excited to introduce you to 
Caroline Dupuis of Cinderella Moments , who contacted me with a link 




As a shy person, I’m quite embarrassed by all the ‘limelight’ my studio 
has shone on me – the very sweet comments from my gentle readers, 
magazine editors, a pair of big-time design gurus, and getting recognized 
at yard sales and stores, for example – but I’m learning to feel worthy of it.  
But, when I saw the pictures of my studio on her blog I gasped and cried out 
(at work, mind you, that’ll teach me to not goof off) like the first time I was 
contacted by some (Cindy of My Romantic Home) for my little studio. 






I immediately forwarded the link to my family and closest friends, 
and now I share it with you: a dollhouse so realistic I feel like I’m in my studio 
just staring at the pictures.   

This is art the only way it should be – labored, heartfelt, inspired.  
Caroline actually installed the woodwork board by board, just like I did 
for my studio, so I know something of what it took to make this. 

The best thing about her is she doesn’t stop looking for solutions 
when she’s stonewalled.

Caroline graciously granted me an in-depth interview, please see below.




Sandy  -  What touched me the most was the obvious work you did to get so many details right; the tissue roses, the sachet, all three chandeliers.   They bear your stamp of creativity rather than slavishly copying.   Can you comment further on that?
Caroline  -  The chandeliers!   I looked around for chandeliers to buy (this is what happens to me with everything!), but I couldn’t find anything like I wanted.    So I decided to try making one.   First, I looked up miniature chandelier tutorials online and found one to try.    I did it and didn’t like it.    So I went on my own!    Got inspired by looking at Horchow’s site.    I just start bending the metal and it takes me wherever it wants to go!    This is true of all my art work.    I listen to what the piece wants to be.    I don’t try to control it. 
Sandy  -  What ‘scale’ is this? 
Caroline  -  This is 1:12 scale. 
Sandy  -  What size doll would fit inside?
Caroline  -  I think 5 to 6 inch dolls.    I don’t even have one!  


Sandy  -  What materials are used on the exterior and roof?
Caroline  -  The roof is wood shingles, the regular ones you get for dollhouses.    The siding is a cardboard box that I cut open to get that ridged part.    I used the same material inside, but a smaller scale.    When it’s painted it looks like the real thing. 

Sandy  -  The ‘tin walls and ceiling’ are so sweet!    What are they made of?
Caroline  -  The tin is just cardboard and hot glue.    First, I cut out the little 2” square pieces of cardboard.    I drew a simple leaf and dot design and applied the hot glue.    This one gets me a lot of emails!    The secret is twirling so you cut those annoying hot glue strings.    Then I painted them white and lightly highlighted with silver.  
Sandy  -  Did you cut all the planks for the floors and ceiling out of wood?
Caroline  -  All the planks are craft sticks that I cut out one by one.    I always like when they split or break.    It looks so rustic! 
Sandy  -  How long have you been making dollhouses?
Caroline  -  I have only been making dollhouses since April 2010.    I had been making my paper (cardboard actually) cottage models for 13 years.    But my Etsy customers kept asking for houses to put their furniture in.    So I finally gave in.    I didn’t even think I would like it!  I don’t…I love it! 




Sandy  -  If someone wanted to get started in this art, how and what would you direct them to?
Caroline  -   Start with a kit.    A simple, little one.    I started with the Corona Primrose kit .    It’s still my favorite.    You want to do one with not too many pieces.    One you can see yourself finishing.    I use this kit all the time.    I just put more windows and doors to customize it.  
Sandy  -   I enjoy making decorative houses for Christmas, but mine look like the influential Coty Foster houses.    Do you make anything for the holidays?
Caroline  -   I love your houses.    I saw them on your Christmas post.    I’ve tried a couple of those myself!    I do have one Christmas dollhouse on Etsy.    It’s very whimsical.    Red with white polka dots, pink hand-painted interior, and even a Christmas tree I decorated.    It’s really in the Mary Engelbreit style.    I hope to do more as soon as I get hit by some inspiration! 
Sandy  -  Do you do custom work, for example, if someone wanted a dollhouse of their home, would you take it on?
Caroline   -   I don’t think I’m quite there yet.    I still think I need more woodwork practice.  Your little studio was my very first try at copying an existing structure.    It was sweet and small.    I never want to overwhelm myself with projects I’m not sure I can accomplish.   Also, I’m happiest when I work on houses that I fall in love with.    I did a lot of custom paper houses for people and I came to the conclusion that I’d rather do projects my heart tells me to do.    It makes the work so exciting and fun.    Like your studio.    I couldn’t wait to get up in the morning and start working on it!    That’s what art is all about! 

So true.
  
Visit Caroline at her blog Cinderella Moments, or her Etsy shop.

Until next time, stay shabby!



*    *    *

I’ll be sharing this with:


Come on over and see all the pretty entries!

Pin It

62 comments:

Jojo said...

That is absolutely amazing - everything about it! Such talent, creativity and love went into this work.

Debby said...

Both houses are absolutely adorable. I love both of them.

Robyn said...

HOW incredibly AWESOME, ARTISTIC, AMAZING! THANKS so much for sharing! ...and ever since I saw your incredibly charming little cottage, I wondered if you had a blog. VOILA' today it appears to me! I already added it to my blogroll on my sidebar!

chateaudelille said...

That's so cute! Caroline is obviosly very clever and I was very inspired.I always wanted a beautiful dolls house for my daughter but it never happened. Now she's nearly 20.Maybe one day for a grand daughter. Does Caroline have a blog or website?

Lori Katies Rose Cottage said...

I am pretty much sitting here with my mouth hanging open in awe ~ that is absolutely amazing and beautiful !!!
Wow !!

xoxo
Lori

Norma said...

As an old follower of yours, and a fairly new follower of Caroline's it's been a pleasure to watch her mini version of your studio 'come to life' on her blog. She is definately to be congratulated on the way in which she's captured the essence of the studio, and on her creativity as a miniaturist. Thanks so much for bringing her to my attention! :)

Note to chateaudelille, Caroline's blog is http://shopcinderellamoments.blogspot.com/

Vintage Rose Collection said...

wow that is soo realistic its scarey.. In a fabulous way of course..
WOW.. Im so blown away on how she accomplished this.. You are soul sisters the 2 of you..Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once in a while something comes along, like you sweetie and your enchanting cottage and it touches so many people on different levels. You are an original Sandy.. A true one of a kind artist who will have plenty of opportunities to inspire us for a very long long time...

Queen of Dreamsz said...

This is just beautiful...she was truly inspired by your sweet studio.

Happy Day,
Stephanie ♥

Cinderella Moments said...

I'm so honored! You're too kind! I love reading all your posts. You always do such a beautiful job. Thank you so much for including me on your truly romantic blog. I cherish your blog as a true inspiration! And I love reading all those wonderful comments from your followers! :) I'm certain I won't be the only one turning your studio into a dollhouse!

Beth ~ Tattered Art said...

..as I am reading this post I realize my face hurts from smiling so big ... it's that much fun....thank you for sharing it

Mariette said...

Dearest Sandy,

This is truly incredible! Such a true replica in miniature makes two famous ladies! Such talent is rare.

Greetings from Georgia/USA

MariettesBacktoBasics

Ozma of Odds said...

...Caroline has truely captured the charm and romance of your lovely hideaway cottage...when beauty is all around, talented hands are inspired!!
xo, Rosemary

Candylei said...

She has it down to the last detail! The sachet on the doorknob. Thank you for introducing us to her through your blog. ADORABLE!
I ADDED your blog to my blog roll too! Just in case there is someone out there who doesn't know about your awesome creativity yet!

Linda said...

What an absolutely charming dollhouse! The "tin" panels are so creative...amazing!

June said...

Sandy this just blows me away!!! I cannot believe how delightful this is!
You do deserve evey bit of attention that is coming your way dear. You are a sweet soul.
hugs

Sue said...

I love it. She did an absolutely amazing job. When I first saw the photo of the dollhouse, I thought it was your studio, it's so realistic.

Rose said...

Amazing ! I love it ! I add your blog to my blogroll !

Ascension said...

Es maravillosamente real!!!!
Que buena artesana, me encanta el trabajo que te ha hecho.
Absolutamente maravillosa!!!
besitos ascension

domishkov said...

Sandy,I think you have inspired many people with his little magic castle.
With love, Olga. Russia.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Sandy,

This is exquisite! I love miniatures, and I have a genius of a friend, Pat Cabrera who makes miniatures. Also, another pal in Norway, Synnove....she will love this since she does most of her work in whites. You have most definitely inspired many around the world, and I can understand how you feel, however, with all the attention. You have though, touched many of us and have show us what one can do with determination. Bravo to you, Sandy! Anita

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

Goodness!
How beautiful is that!
I have a Victorian doll house and it brings me such joy!!

Debbie

Holly- Girls At Heart said...

Wow! ♥

Sharon~heartsongs said...

That is so cute!

Madelief said...

Hi Zuzu,

Just found your blog through Cielo. It's simply lovely! I especially enjoyed the photos of your studio. It's so pretty! Having a little garden house of my own, yours is a source of inspiration to me!

Lieve groet from Holland,

Madelief

Victoria said...

Oh goodness, I don't even know what to say about this other than I WANT IT!!! That is just amazing, a little miniature version of your little studio!!!

Burlap Luxe said...

I just adore its charm, you must be so taken with the life this little mini house has been givin.
will be back soon to take in all your charmed life over here.
Magical truely is fitting.
xx
Dore

jenn said...

All I can say is WOW! What a beautiful rendition of your gorgeous cottage. Caroline is very talented, imaginative and hard working to come up with that.

Creative Ambitions said...

Unbelievable! WOW... it's so awesome!! It looks just like your sweet cottage. I'm in awe! Love the details... such an art form!

Cassie Shella said...

How cool is that! Every last detail in miniature- how wonderful. I have my grandmother's doll house- now I want to refinish it! Have a great week.

Violet said...

Hi Sandy, WOW! That is amazing!!! (Did she also make a little Sandy doll with a cute white dress and pink wellies?!?) Oh. That would be a good idea actually : )

Caroline is amazingly talented, as are you!

~ Violet

Bella said...

Hi Sandy... I have been by and looked at your mini me several times and keep forgeting to comment... it is mesmerizing:-)
Bella

mo said...

Hi Sandy,
Wow...What an amazing story to inspire the creativity in all of us. People are simply amazing. This takes my breath away. *hugs*

Ms. Robinson said...

LOVE THE miniature house, a dawn doll, you know from the 70's would work perfectly in the tiny house.

Tania - Grange de Charme said...

Oh I can't beleive what I see !!! how amazing ! I love the little chandelier ! great talent !

Brenda@Cozy Little House said...

Incredible! Absolutely incredible work of art!
Brenda

Boxwood Cottage said...

Gosh just how sweet it this?
Awesome miniature work!
You must feel so honored Sandy! :)
Come see my new shabby old window if you find the time!
Happy wishes
xoxo~ Carola

Victoria Sayer said...

Thanks Sandy,
for sharing your wonderful creative whimsy with us all out here, in the Land of Blog. I have included links to your loveliness on my blog:
http://greenandwhitegarden.blogspot.com

The French Bear said...

Beautiful!!!!! Wow, I just adore it! Love, love the idea of miniature homes, especially yours!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Janice Selby said...

Sandy

See I told you! I knew your little cottage was just the most amazing thing going in blog world and now someone copied your little cottage for a doll house . Next thing will be kits to build your own cottage like
My Shabby Streamside Studio.


Janice soon to be

Curtains In My Tree

Shabbyfufu said...

Sandy, so happy that good things are coming your way. Rock star! ~xo~ Janet.......PS, this is gorgeous

cityfarmer said...

I am utterly speechless ... always have adored the" tiny life" ....

I was blessed two fold to have found your cottage ON the day that fifi o'neill was IN my home photo shooting for her new book ...

we MUST chat ...
I'd be honored to be a follower here ...

Debi said...

Hi Sandy,
Thanks so much for stoping by and visiting me! This dollhouse is simplay amazing!! It looks just like your enchanted cottage! I just love it! I wish I could shrink myself and move right in! Oh to dream!
xo
Debi

Justina said...

That Dollhouse is so AMAZING!!! How quaint ! How flattering it must be to have someone create that in honor of your humble abode!

Also, Congrats! I have chosen your blog as one of my 5 favorite blogs of substance !! Check out my post here, and don't forget to grab your Award Button at the top!

http://labohememagique.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-blog-with-substance-award.html

-Justina
xoxo
La Boheme Magique

Pearl Maple said...

Simply fabulous, that little doll house is just delightful.

Hope you are enjoying a wonderful summer season working in your little studio.

tales from an oc cottage said...

OH! MY! GOSH!!!!!! The magical amazingness of this creation just boggles the mind!!!

m ^..^

Holly said...

just stunning!

Paula said...

Oh, Sandy...it's magical! And what a compliment the artist has paid to you. You know, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Congratulations! Both of you are wonderful!

Blessings,
Paula

Debbie~ said...

I couldn't believe this when I first saw it...totally AmAzInG!!!
Caroline is so talented! I really enjoyed your interview with her too, great job! Your cottage has been such an inspiration for me, and I see how it's captured many a heart! Big hugs, Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Lovely and enchanting!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!
Hugs,
Anne

32˙North said...

Hi Sandy,

What a wonderful labor of love - remarkable, really!

Amanda

Lynette Killam said...

Oh, Sandy..I am literally gasping in awe! How delightful, and how wonderful that you were able to include the interview as well. Truly an astounding post..you ladies are both incredible!

I'll have a smile on my face the rest of the day thinking of this...

Lynette

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

This is gorgeous. I cannot beleive all the detail. If I had a granddaughter to add to my grandsons, I would try to make a pretty dollhouse like this. I could never look as incredible as these do. Thank you so much for sharing these incredible houses. They are a work of art.

@nemonen said...

Thank you for sharing the doll houses. I have never seen such a beautiful doll houses before. They are adorable. Have a nice day.

Pblacksaw said...

I absolutely adore doll houses.. who would have thought that white would be such a beautiful color for one.. Grand!
Patsy

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

Super adorable house. The talent to make something this amazing fascinates me ~ it is honestly a pleasure to look at every little detail. Happy WW!

Jillian said...

Oh my gosh that is SO cute, I can barely stand it! She did such a nice job re-creating your cottage...and I just loved reading the interview you did with her.

Lovely!

Jillian
Bella Rosa Antiques

manon 21 said...

j'adore!!

bonne journée

Manon

Rhianna said...

I wish she would make kits of your house so we could all have a shabby streamside studio to play with . I would buy one in a second. Maybe once my house is done, I will try and make a copy of it. Your studio is one of my favorite buildings in the world, keep up the good work.

Mellie Morgan said...

this is absolutely beautiful...as I looked at it I went into a trance...back to my childhood. so powerful, innocent, & beautiful thank you. i love your house, your blog, your world. so lovely.

mellie

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Wow, this is just amazing! So creative and just perfect!

arrielle_p said...

What a lovely dollhouse. Great work in there. :)

real estate in the philippines

Daisy Pink Cupcake said...

Just came across this...its so adorable!!
Daisy~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails